Saturday, September 29, 2012

It's time for movin' on my friends...


July 1st marked Luke's last day serving as the Youth Pastor at First Baptist Church.  The day came with so many mixed emotions.  We were thrilled for the six amazing and challenging years we had the privilege of serving and fulfilling our call at FBC.  God used those years to shape us, grow us, refine us and draw us closer to Himself through the good, the bad and the ugly times of our and other's lives.  Our hearts were also  heavy.  We had poured our hearts, souls and lives into what God had called us to and now it was time to say goodbye to so many that we have loved (and so many who loved us through the years).  It's times like this I wonder where in the world six years had gone.  I'm mean really...wasn't it just yesterday we had moved to Medford (me pregnant with Traeger and Luke fresh out of seminary) ready to dive into what God had called us to in Medford.  And now, we clearly felt the leading from the Lord to move on to serve as missionaries to Ripon College.  

We're thankful that FBC will always be a part of our life story and by His grace their fingerprints are all over our lives . Their impact will last well beyond our six years there. 

This transition has been a clear reminder to me of just how short life really is.  I've been challenged to never say never and live life all in for His good and glory.  Living our lives for Christ is worth it and there's nothing better than serving His people (not matter what) and spurring one another on toward following hard after Jesus.
 

 Miss Jayda and I
  Jayda and her sweet mommy are just one example of how God worked during our time at FBC.  I so wish I could have captured a picture with everyone in the church.  Each person has meant something to our family.      God either used them to encourage us, challenge us, grow us or refine us.  It would have been a treasured example to me of how God works all things for His good.  Luke, Traeger, Ataly and I are better people for having lived alongside the people at FBC.


So many took the time to send us off well.  
We had a gathering where others shared how God had worked in and through us.  I was humbled and blessed by that time.  Words of affirmation are one of my top love languages and so the time really encouraged my soul.  I was so humbled by the time as well because some of the stories people shared I didn't even remember doing them.  It reminded me that I am merely a vessel to be open to allowing the Spirit to work in and through and that so often God works outside of our strategic, well intentioned plans.  


To end the day, the boys sent Luke out in style and smashed the remainder of the cake in his face.


He took it like a champ!

1 Thessalonians 2:8
"We loved you so much that we gave you not only God's Good News but our own lives, too."

(I also wanted to include, for keepsake purpose, the note I wrote to share with FBC at the potluck)

Good morning. The safe place for me is to stand is  alongside my husband in a big group and let him do the talking. This morning my heart is filled with so much I couldn't just stand here silent and save my words for my comfort zone of one on one :O)

We stand here humbled that six years ago, God called us to FBC to walk alongside you, love you, spur you on toward following hard after Jesus. And it is now, with full hearts, that we are following God once again, stepping out in faith, to follow Him to Ripon College. In our journey to Ripon and beyond, we are grateful to know we will have FBC's mark on us.

God has been so good. Through the good, the bad and the down right ugly times of life, YOU, were Jesus with skin on for us. You walked with us through the joys of welcoming our kids into this world. And you loved us through the valley of Luke's depression and everything in between. God has used many of you to encourage us and speak His truths into our lives. You not only have shown us, but our kids too, that following Jesus is worth it. We feel like YOU are our extended family. Our kids have had surrogate grandparents, cousin like friends, been cared for by “aunts and uncles” and big kids who have loved them like brothers and sisters. I can't help but see the beauty of Christ's body working together for His good and glory through it ALL.

God has shown up through your generosity and abundant love over the last six years. We will always look back with fond memories that point us to our Savior's mighty hand at work. We're thankful that FBC will always be a part of our life story. Your impact will last well beyond our six years here and by His abundant grace and mercy countless others will come to accept and join the journey of following Him.

We love you FBC!


No comments: