Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bonfire

4/30/2013

Our house was the last stop on the scavenger hunt the college students were embarking on.  We were sure to have all the smore fixings and fire stoked for when they arrived and enjoyed an evening of fellowship and fun.    



Below is something Luke wrote for our ministry newsletter about what happened that night...

Get the table out. Grab the chairs. How many chairs will we need? Better get some more. When should I start the fire? Shouldn't my kids be in bed about an hour ago?
“Hey dad...” He'd already asked me if he could stay up. I was still debating it in my head.

Should I put the food out yet? I wonder when I should start the fire. I think they were going to call before they came over. Oh phone call. What?! No s'mores sticks. Hmmm. What would work? Ahhh – wire coat hangers!

“Hey dad...” I really think they need to go to bed.

I wonder how many students will be coming? More chairs might be good. Probably about time to start the fire.

“Hey dad...”

“Hey buddy, Daddy really needs to focus on getting ready to have the college students over. I think you and Ataly better head to bed.”

“But Dad, I thought we were part of this ministry too!”

Wow! Out of the mouths of babes... We rejoice that God is working in our son so that he understands and could verbalize that our family is in this ministry together. We look forward to continuing to see how God will use our kids (and us) in our ministry to students at Ripon College.

P.S. The kids got to stay up (how could I send them to bed after that?! ;-)), and they had a blast with the college students!



No comments: