Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sometimes I wish I had a recorder...


Below are a few things the kids have said or done in the last couple of months that I took time to write down....

A: "Mom, will you remind me to get bandaids the next time we're at the store?"

T:  I love that we're the only people here at the pool.  
A: I wish there were more friends here to play with
These two couldn't be more different.  Just like their mommy and daddy.  We're finding Traeger is an introvert  just like his mommy and Ataly is an extrovert just like her daddy.

A:  "Mom can I tell you my favorite part of the movie?"  She then spends the next 5 minutes sharing every detail.  I'm finding this is a wonderful gift of having a girl.

I learned that you can unclog poopy toilet paper from a sink by using a plunger.  Just keeping it real folks. Yep, Traeger wondered what would happen with poopy toilet paper in a sink full of water. We're in a season of learning self control and things that are funny and things that should just stay in your imagination.      

One night at bedtime, Traeger told Ataly he liked her toes. Not real sure how this came about but, Ataly couldn't contain her excitement and said, "I'll go out and tell mom that you think my toes are really pretty."  Oh how a girl craves affirmation from anyone but coming from a brother or a dad sure seems to mean the world.

Traeger really wanted to spend time with his daddy, however, Luke and I wanted to take some time to finish the conversation we started, so Luke offered to let Traeger play extra computer games.  That didn't sit well with Traeger and he broke down crying and said, "Daddy, I just want you."  I couldn't help but think of our limitations as parents and was reminded that we serve a mighty God who is limitless.  He is always available for us to run to find comfort, joy and satisfaction.  When I'm wanting something, do I cry out, "Heavenly Father, I just want you?"  

A:  Many times throughout a day I am blessed to have these words fall on my ears.  "I love you beautiful mommy."  Or Ataly will sign, "God made you beautiful!"

T:  I ripped the back cover off the Highlights magazine because it was getting purple marker all over the bathroom floor.  Traeger asked why I was doing that.  After I explained why, he calmly said, "I can see how that's frustrating mom."

A:  When Ataly has something to tell me she will often lift my hair away from my ear and share what she has to say.

While playing dominoes with the kids, Ataly randomly said to Traeger, "life isn't fair Traeger" At that point Traeger said, "yeah because daddy says so."  And Ataly said, "yeah because God is the best."

While playing front yard baseball, Luke complimented Traeger on his batting.  After he did that Ataly asked Luke what she was doing well.  He said you're a fast outfielder.  Luke could tell that didn't quite strike a cord, so he said and you look beautiful standing in the outfield.  I was amazed at how quickly she got a skip to her step and she stood a little taller.  I'm thinking words of affirmation might just be one of this girl's love languages.  

Traeger saw me looking at pictures of African babies on facebook.  He said, "I think we could adopt because we could share Jesus with them.  And do they have clothes?  When they get older they could help us with chores.  Then we could have 5 in our family."  Not sure this is in our plans but certainly good thoughts.

On one of our car rides home the kids and I were talking about the blessing of always having food to eat and even having lots of treats too.  I shared that some people get so hungry that they die.  We just don't have an awareness of how good we have it.  After discussing the weight of this issue, Ataly said, "It's ok mommy, I will pray for them."  In that moment she trusted that God knows the need and will hear our prayers.  I love the innocent and sincere prayers of a child.  It then made me wonder about what are areas in my life that I don't trust God with because I put Him in a box and think it's too big for Him.  "I am able to accomplish infinitely more than we could ever dare to ask or hope for."  Ephesians 3:20.

*thanks to James Stokes Photography for sharing his amazing talents with our family and blessing us with fun and fabulous photos.

No comments: