This Christmas we were still in transition from our Medford home to finding a new place to call home in Ripon. We were thankful to be staying with the Nelson family in their mission quarters, but that meant our Christmas decorations were safely tucked away in Grandpa Tim and Nana's basement. I had a few moments of sadness and maybe a pity party or two (if I was honest) that we couldn't have our decorations this year. After I got over myself and the fact that I didn't want to spend money on any new decorations, the thought came to mind that the kids were the perfect age to make their own ornaments. So Ataly went right to work and spent a lot of time thinking and drawing up this plan for how we were going to decorate our tree. Who's child is she anyway? I wish I had a bit more of the planning gene. Good thing someone in our family has it :O)
After Ataly got her plan all drawn out she said, "Isn't Christmas going to be great!"
I said, "Absolutely, why do you think it's going to be great?"
Ataly said, "because of my plan."
I replied with a gentle, "your plan is great but there's a bit more to it."
Ataly quickly said, "because we get presents!"
I kindly replied with, "nope."
Ataly said, "Why?"
I said, "because Jesus was born and we get to celebrate His birth."
Ataly said, "oh yeah!"
Thankful for the opportunity to remind my daughter and myself that Christmas isn't about decorations and presents but the true reason for the season is Jesus! Now that's worth celebrating!
Here is the finished product of our tree. We cut a tree from my parent's land. My mom shared some lights and the tree skirt from when we were kids. The Nelson's shared some of their extra silver bulbs. My kid's very own decorations...priceless!
It's not like I have a perfectly decorated or pinterest inspired tree every year but it typically looks more put together than this one. I have to be honest though...I might have the kids decorate it next year and the years to come. We worked together and came up with this creation...not just what I wanted the tree to look like.
Thankful God used what I thought was a bummer at first and turned it into what just might be a new tradition in our house. I love how God rocks our world, shakes it up, transforms us through the process and we come out better on the other end. And often times in strange ways that I never see coming or know I could be transformed in that area. God is good like that :O)
No comments:
Post a Comment